Recent Posts
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
June 2011 Quarry Lands Update
It has been a long time since our last update. The news around the Quarry Lands in recent months is decidedly mixed. A few key points:
1) Developments at a recent hearing of the Ontario Municipal Board May 26 confirm our opinion that City planning staff either cannot or will not use the OMB forum to act on behalf of the community’s best interest and defeat the proposed development. There is little positive news emerging out of the OMB process and we have no reason to believe that will change. Issues before the OMB at this point are largely to deal with minor zoning and site plan changes; the OMB has, in effect, already given its approval to the general idea of Gerrard Clonmore Development's high rise plans. That said, the OMB is far from the only leverage point the community has to express its opinion and drive change and common sense planning around this issue.
2) Members of the CCQLD board met earlier this month with officials from the provincial Ministry of the Environment and staff from MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti’s office. We stressed the critical importance of public input into the Record of Site Condition process, which must be undertaken separately by both Build Toronto (ie. the City) and GCD before any approvals are granted. This process will take many months, as neither the City nor GCD have filed necessary documentation with the Ministry.
3) We are in regular contact with our elected representatives from all three levels of government. Councillor Gary Crawford and newly elected Scarborough Southwest MP Dan Harris attended CCQLD’s May board of directors meeting. MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti has also said he understands the importance of this issue to the community – and on that note, we expect the Quarry Lands to be an issue again during the provincial election campaign this fall. Overall, while ongoing discussion have not been able to produce substantial results to date, it’s up to our entire community to continue to put pressure on our elected officials, wherever and whenever we can, to achieve a sensible result.
4) There has been no meeting of Build Toronto, City planning officials, elected representatives and members of the CCQLD Board of Directors for well over a year. We are working to make this happen as soon as possible. Since the last such meeting, we have a new city councillor (Gary Crawford), a new key contact at Build Toronto (Prakesh David), a new head of Scarborough planning (Raymond David) and of course a new Mayor (Rob Ford). These parties need to have a united front and a vision for how we can and must all do better, based on a common interest in strong city-building. Give them a call and let them know how you feel.
5) The Quarry Lands issue remains, at its heart, an issue of city-building. When area residents, local elected representatives from all three levels of government, city planners and outside experts agree that this development is an inappropriate land use from the 1960s that doesn’t make sense for the community and defies all reasonable planning principles, shame on all those in positions of power if they collectively let it happen. Healthy, vibrant communities are not built this way.
6) There is still time to find a solution. With environmental and other necessary approvals, even in a worst-case scenario, we’re still several years from ground being turned. That said, the clock is ticking and we all need to raise the level of our game.
Back in touch soon,
CCQLD Board of Directors
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Thanks to outgoing MP Michelle Simson
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti speaks out on Quarry
Hi everyone,
A quick update: Members of the CCQLD Board met on April 5 with Scarborough Southwest MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti regarding the Quarry Lands and environmental considerations around the quarry site.
Mr. Berardinetti recently made a statement in the provincial legislature pledging to do everything in his power to stop the proposed high rise tower development and expressing his support for the aims of CCQLD. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UioL2lIp6Y
As brownfield regulations are controlled by the provincial Ministry of the Environment, and given that there remain serious environmental issues associated with the potential development and ongoing monitoring of this site, we are pleased Mr. Berardinetti is now engaged in this fight.
We’ll keep you posted of ongoing developments.
Monday, March 21, 2011
Rally against OMB - Monday March 28, Queen's Park

Hi everyone,
Friday, February 25, 2011
Positive news re. Build Toronto and Quarry Lands
We're pleased to report positive news on the Build Toronto front.
Members of the CCQLD Board met Feb. 24 with Build Toronto COO Derek Ballantyne and other agency staff overseeing city-owned property on the Quarry Lands site. In contrast to earlier indications, we are now extremely encouraged with the direction and approach that Build Toronto is taking.
While plans are not complete, we were assured that Build Toronto has no designs for high rise or high density development on its property. Current thinking calls for a a mix of low rise / town-home style housing, with park space, and commercial / retail development integrated appropriately into the site towards the northwest corner. Again, this would not be a high rise development in any way. In our estimation, the preliminary ideas that were shown would be consistent with the character of the surrounding community.
We stressed the importance of Build Toronto communicating its plans directly to area residents and the need for residents to provide broad-based feedback. To this end, Mr. Ballantyne promised that Build would present its ideas at a public community meeting this spring. We will let everyone know as soon as a date is set, likely sometime in late April or May. We also reiterated our concerns regarding the environmental sensitivity of the site. An environmental risk assessment will have to be done in conjunction with any development plans, and CCQLD will be watching closely and participating in the process to the fullest possible extent.
Overall, our ultimate goal remains the same: to ensure a coherent, responsible development over the entire 49-acre site that fits with the surrounding neighbourhood. While Gerrard Clonmore Developments and the City continue hearings over a site plan application and by-law amendments at the Ontario Municipal Board, we remain hopeful and optimistic that a better solution can be found -- one that links Build Toronto and GCD lands under an appropriate, environmentally-friendly, pedestrian-friendly design. Build Toronto did indicate they would be contacting GCD in the near future to continue discussions.
We will keep you posted as we learn of any new developments. In the meantime, though, please keep those 2011 membership renewals coming (and thanks to those who renewed at our Annual General Meeting in January). Membership in CCQLD is just $10, helps cover assorted costs is a strong investment in the future of our community. Cheques made out to 'Concerned Citizens of Quarry Lands Development' can be mailed to W. Longley, 63 Woodland Park Road, M1N 2X5.
Lawn signs are also available for $10; if you send the money and make a request when renewing membership we'll drop off the sign within a few days.
Thanks as always for your support,
Board of Directors,
Concerned Citizens of Quarry Lands Development
Monday, February 21, 2011
2011 Board Planning Next Steps
Sunday, December 19, 2010
Save the Date - Jan. 18 for CCQLD Annual General Meeting
Hi everyone,
We wanted to give you an early heads-up that CCQLD's 2011 Annual General Meeting will take place on Tuesday January 18, 7:30 pm., at Birchcliff Bluffs United Church (behind the library, corner Warden and Kingston Rd). We will be electing the CCQLD Board for 2011 and providing an overview of where things stand. Scarborough Southwest Councillor Gary Crawford, who made the Quarry Lands issue a top priority during the recent municipal election, will be present to share his thoughts.
Also at the AGM, there will be lawn signs available for purchase for $10. If you had put your name on the sign list previously, we encourage you to pick your sign up (and pay the $10 if you haven't already) at that time.
A quick update on recent developments:
You may recall that in August, the Ontario Municipal Board instructed Gerrard Clonmore Developments (GCD) and the City to try to work out mutually acceptable modifications to a site plan for one of GCD's proposed high rise tower buildings by Dec. 31 of this year. While the two parties have talked, no mutually acceptable changes have been agreed upon. City planning staff, like CCQLD, continues to believe the proposed development is inappropriate for this property and flies in the face of good planning and community-building.
As a result, it is possible that GCD and the City will appear before the OMB in late January or February to present separate submissions. We will be monitoring the situation in upcoming weeks and will let everyone know as soon as a new OMB date is set.
Build Toronto -- the city's arms-length development arm that has been assigned responsibility over the large piece of city-owned property at the northwest part of the site -- is also exploring its options. CCQLD is working to arrange a meeting with Build Toronto to get a better idea of their intentions, and to reiterate the unanimous sentiment within our community that whether it be on city land or private land, there must be responsible development across the Quarry Lands site, with utmost attention paid to serious environmental concerns and the needs and existing character of the surrounding community.
That's the short version for now. We look forward to providing a complete update on Jan. 18
Thanks as always for your support, and all the best for the holiday season,
Board of Directors,
Concerned Citizens of Quarry Lands Development